Back Gate of Abashiri Prison

  • Rebuilt at a new location
  • Construction: 1924
  • Reconstruction: 1995
  • Wall length: 12m
The Back Gate of Abashiri Prison was called “the side gate”. The construction of the redbrick wall started with the building of the Back Gate in 1919.
After the start of construction, inmates continued to lay bricks little by little over the course of five years, and the 1,080m-long redbrick wall was completed in 1924. For the 70 years from then until September 1993, the Back Gate was used by inmates when they went out to farm or to work at a hog farm. Unlike the imposing Main Gate, the Back Gate had special significance to inmates, who had a sense of liberation when they passed through.